Canadian Experience Class program under Express Entry

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program is one of the immigration pathways under Canada’s online application system for skilled workers called Express Entry. It is designed for skilled workers that have at least 1 year of Canadian work experience and want to become permanent residents. This program is suitable for immigrants that are already in Canada and have built a life in Canada. However, the candidate does not necessarily need to be present in Canada at the time he or she applies to this program.

To apply to the CEC program, the candidate has to create an Express Entry profile using the IRCC’s website. The Express Entry program is designed to expedite the immigration process for skilled candidates. Applicants are ranked on the basis of their education, work experience, language ability and other parameters. If you have completed any post-secondary education in Canada under a study permit, you could also obtain more points in the comprehensive raking score for your Express Entry profile.

Choosing the right immigration program can be challenging/daunting and will largely depend on your unique profile. An immigration lawyer can assist you in creating the unique profile for your situation and boost your chances to come to Canada as a permanent resident.

It is worth noting that IRCC has only held draws for Canadian Experience Class and Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) during 2021. IRCC has being focusing on inviting CEC and Provincial Nominee Program candidates. In February 2021, the lowest comprehensive ranking score to qualify for CEC was 75 points, which meant that almost everyone who qualified for this program received an invitation to apply for permanent residence. Express Entry’s system is unpredictable and full of surprises. Therefore, it is advisable to create a profile and apply to this program as soon as possible, as long as the candidate meets the minimum requirements to apply.

A qualified and experienced immigration lawyer will assist you with your immigration application to increase your chances of reaching your Canadian immigration aspirations.

Minimum Requirements

The applicant to the Canadian Experience Class program must meet the following minimum requirements:

  • Meet the required language levels. This is done by taking an English or French tests at a recognized institution to assess the candidate’s language skills
  • Have at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada, or the equivalent of 1,560 hours in the last 3 years before applying to this program in 1 or more NOC 0 (managerial occupations), A (professional occupations), or B (technical occupations and skill trades) jobs.
  • Have gained the Canadian work experience under a temporary resident status with authorization to work
  • Have gained skilled Canadian work experience under paid work, including paid wages, or earned commission. Self employment and work experience gained while having student status does not count for this program.
  • Must be admissible to Canada
  • Must plan to live outside the province of Quebec

For more information please visit the following official web page: Eligibility to apply for the Canadian Experience Class (Express Entry) –

Advantages of CEC Program

One of the advantages is that there is no education requirement to qualify for the CEC program, although to have post-secondary education is advantageous to boost the candidate’s points in the comprehensive ranking score.

Moreover, if the candidate is selected to apply for permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class program, the applicant is not required to prove funds in the application as opposed to other immigration programs. This is unique advantage pertaining to such program.

Bridging Open Work Permit for Permanent Residence Applicants

If the candidate is invited to apply for permanent residence under Express Entry and the CEC program, and he or she applies, there is a possibility to also request what is called as a bridging open work permit.  A bridging open work permit allows the holder of such permit to keep working in Canada while waiting for the results of the permanent residence application. This type of work permit is processed within 40 days approximately and is almost always granted to its applicants.  An immigration lawyer could assist you in applying for a bridging open work permit while your permanent residence application is processed.

Should you require more information about bridging open work permits please visit: Bridging open work permit for permanent residence applicants –

For more information, contact our immigration law office today! 647 724 3657


Share this article